Re: ICP Vortex RAID in Debian 3.0

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:47:12AM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:16:25PM -0800, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> > My question is this:  Does anyone out there in userland have any experience
> > with these cards and getting them to work with Debian?  Is it better to use
> > the CD set insteal of the 3-floppy approach (rescue,root.bin,module load,
> > reboot)?  Intel purchased this company, and the manual notes it works fine
> > with Debian, using the gdth.0 module.  I am just curious about this,
> > because RAID is complex to begin with.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't hardware RAID be completely
> transparent to the running OS?  Or is the module designed to let you
> administer the RAID setup?

It's simply a hardware driver, just like aic7xxx for Adaptec 2940 and
friends, promise drivers for promise IDE controllers, etc.  Most RAID
controllers present each RAID set as a single SCSI disc.

  You can have Peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on
  having both at the same time.
          -- Robert A. Heinlein