Need help designing backup/server system

Greetings;

I want to setup a fileserver and backup repository for two
windows systems. It seems that no matter what I do, Gates'
Law prevails, that is more prevalent in Win systems than
Murphy's law, and every time I have a disk problem I lose
half my life! (Gates' law: Everything will go wrong, even if
it can't!)

My idea is to get some 120Gb IDE drives, which are pretty
reasonable now, and set up some sort of raid array. I also
have two or three 100mHz Pentiums, a 10/100 switch, and the
two windows systems that are already networked together.

Of course, the OS will be Debian, but further than that
things start getting pretty foggy. Can anyone give me some
guidance on this? Pointers to doc and software to look at
and such would be great. Any specific suggestions would also
be appreciated.

Many TIA,
Dennis