Re: Can I add sound with an unrecognised SouthBridge?

Lourens replying to Tim Wood <tleathley@bigpond.com> wrote:

      >  I bought a new m/b and CPU a week ago. An Epox 8K5A2 which has
      >  a KT333 Northbridge and a VT8235 Southbridge.
      >
      >  Initially I could not get X to work, with a Nvidia Geforce2
      >  MX400, but saw something suggesting I should move from my
      >  2.4.17 kernel to the 2.4.19. I do not remember what the reason
      >  given was, but it worked. I'd like to get sound working, not
      >  urgent, but for completeness.
      >
      >  "sndconfig' sees the VT8235 as it predecessor,a VT8233, and
      >  assumes that it has the standard Via codec. It doesn't. Epox
      >  used the RealTek ALC650.
      >
      >  There is a Linux patch for the ALC650 on the RealTek website.
      >  Can I assume that it will work, if the kernel does not
      >  recognise the Southbridge?
      >
      >  My reading of the Via site is that it is the VT8235 that
      >  actually provides the sound.

I have two of the above mobos but do not use the on-board sound thingies
on either. Real sound cards are cheap enough.

There is a patch for the vt8235 / 2.4.19 kernel (found with Google) that
works well on the one installation that I have applied it too.
My reason for the patch was to improve hdd performance.
Try it, it may work solve your problem?

HTH

***

Treat yourself with Debian Linux and Open Source Software

***

Lourens Steenkamp
R.S.A.