Re: Debian hotswap and 5 9's

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:19:23AM -0800, nate wrote:
> Rogier Wolff said:
>
> > No.
> >
> > Think RAID.
>
> think CPU fan fails, CPU overheats, CPU fails, system crashes.

You misunderstand my "think Raid" remark. In a RAID configuration you
can handle a WHOLE DISK going offline. If your SYSTEM can handle a
whole CPU giving the ghost, then you can still achieve high uptimes
by just taking over the jobs on another machine.

So, if you want reliable storage you can buy ultra-reliable disks, and
hope they never die, or you can buy a Redundant Array of Inexpensive
Disks, and use them in such a way that any one of them failing wont
bring your whole storage system down.

Similarly if you want a reliable system, you can buy ultra-reliable
Sun-ultra with internal failover for RAM, CPUs, powersupplies network
cards etc etc. Or you can configure a Redundant Array of Inexpensive
Linuxboxes.

If you configure it correctly, any failure on one of the linuxboxes is
indeed likely to bring the whole box down, but the system will keep on
providing it's services.

		Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *