Re: Debian Package for viewing/editing .ai files (Adobe Illustrator)

-- Doug MacFarlane <madmac@covad.net> wrote
(on Wednesday, 11 December 2002, 02:25 PM +0000):
> On 10 Dec 2002, 20:24:41, Ludwig wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 19:54, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > > Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:42:13AM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> >
> > Bear in mind that the JPEG format doesn't support transparency, so
> > you'll have to save that logo as a GIF or PNG.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Yeah - the gimp made this clear to me . .
>
> There's no Save As . . . option for .gif in the gimp.  Is there some proprietary
> format issue?
Yes. However, if you have your apt sources pointing to a non-free area,
you can get the package 'gimp1.2-nonfree' (or 1.1, if that's what you're
using), which includes gif and lzw support.

Once you do, unless you change the image to an indexed color format,
you'll notice the GIF option in the "Save As" dialog will still be
greyed-out; simply use the "By Extension" option and type in the file as
'filename.gif', and it will step you through the needed file
conversions.

> I saved as a png and that worked perfectly!!!  It displays properly in Galeon.
>  But from IE on WinDoze box, I still get the white background.  What's up
> with that?
What version of IE did you use? Unless it's very recent, my recollection
is that PNG transparency remained unsupported (thanks, M$ :-( ).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net