[Fwd: Subject: Re: NVidia Riva TNT PCI with XFree86 From: Wim De Smet <fragmeat@yucom.be> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:52:01 +0100 To:]

--- Begin Message ---
 sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>
	CC:
	benjim@bikerider.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org

	Hi,

	This isn't true. These packages are for the nvidia kernel drivers,
 which are the nvidia propietary drivers.
	The X server contains a package
 for nvidia cards named "nv". This is a free driver, but doesn't contain any
 3d
	acceleration. You probably misconfigured the x server somewhere.

 A good way to debug your XF86Config-4 is typing:
	X -configure
	Then see
 if it starts up. If it does, just look at the file created in the directory
 you were in while running this command,
	it should have a name like XF86Config.new
 or something, and find the differences with your config file (especially
 in the
	"device" section).

	gl,
	Wim

	On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:04:19
 -0500
	sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:

	> heya,

 yeah, you need a couple packages. install

	> nvidia-kernel-src

 nvidia-glx-src

 -0500, Ben Hill wrote:

	> > Hi,
	> >
	> > I am having some hassle
 setting up my NVidia Riva TNT PCI graphics card with XFree86 on Debian 3.0
 rev0.

	> > I have set up the device manually in the XF86Config-4
 as a "nv" type, but when I try to start X, it just tries to display, then
 retrys endlessly.

	> > Do I need to add NVidia drivers? I noticed
 that there is an NVidia drivers source deb when I did a package search.

	> > Has anyone set this up?
	> >
	> > Cheers,
	> >
	> > Ben

	> > --
	> > benjim@bikerider.com
	> >
	> > NVidia Riva TNT PCI
 with XFree 86

Re: NVidia Riva TNT PCI with XFree86
From:
Wim De Smet <fragmeat@yucom.be>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:52:01 +0100

To:
sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>
CC:
benjim@bikerider.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hi,

This isn't true. These packages are for the nvidia kernel drivers, which are the nvidia propietary drivers.
The X server contains a package for nvidia cards named "nv". This is a free driver, but doesn't contain any 3d
acceleration. You probably misconfigured the x server somewhere.

A good way to debug your XF86Config-4 is typing:
X -configure
Then see if it starts up. If it does, just look at the file created in the directory you were in while running this command,
it should have a name like XF86Config.new or something, and find the differences with your config file (especially in the
"device" section).

gl,
Wim

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:04:19 -0500
sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:

> heya,
>
> yeah, you need a couple packages. install
>
> nvidia-kernel-src
> nvidia-glx-src
>
> and follow the directions you get in /usr/share/doc/nvidia*
>

> good luck,
> 	sean
>
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:49:38AM -0500, Ben Hill wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having some hassle setting up my NVidia Riva TNT PCI graphics card with XFree86 on Debian 3.0 rev0.
> >
> > I have set up the device manually in the XF86Config-4 as a "nv" type, but when I try to start X, it just tries to display, then retrys endlessly.
> >
> > Do I need to add NVidia drivers? I noticed that there is an NVidia drivers source deb when I did a package search.
> >
> > Has anyone set this up?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > --
> > benjim@bikerider.com

Hi,

I had the same problem with the same TNT2 card. I have solved it by deleting the originally produced file in /etc/X11/XF86config-4.
Then you use the oldfashioned "xf86config" command as root. You have to know some basic parameters of your monitor , preferably the horizontal and vertical refresh-rates. When you don't have them you can chose a conservative setting which is available in the configscript. Your card identifieer number will be "175" with probably 3200K memory.
After saving the this new XF86config file you can use : "startx".

Good Luck,

cghuisman@freeler.nl

--- End Message ---