pon - Modem keeps redialing

My modem won't stop redialing periodically, even though I've got
inactivity timeout set for 300 seconds.  A few minutes later, it dials in
again, and does it non-stop throughout the day, unless I kill the
connection with poff.  Demand dialing is on, but why does it keep
incessantly dialing in without being used?  Also, I can't turn the modem
volume off in /etc/chatscripts/provider, so the recurring noise of the
modem constantly dialing in is a pain.  I've tried to duplicate some of
the things I read on the net, but can't get the modem noise or the
constant dialing in, turned off.  Here's my /etc/chatscripts/provider:
Thanks!

#/etc/chatscripts/provider
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO
DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK ATDT3218990