Re: Proftp behind firewall

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 12:14:13PM -0800, Michael Olds wrote:
> I need to know:
> What ports should be opened through the router's firewall? I have tried 21
> 20 and those plus the range 60000-65000.

FTP through NAT is major hackage, since both sides open ports and
connect to the other host.  If you were using a Linux 2.4 router, then
it'd be as easy as 'modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp ip_nat_ftp', but I've
never used one of these little 'SOHO broadband router' thingies.

> What should my proftpd.conf look like:
>
> I have tried variations on the folowing in the proftpd.conf:
>
> # UseReverseDNS         off
> # IdentLookups          off
> #
> # MasqueradeAddress      both ftp.mydomain.net and http://www~ and
> 00.000.00.00 the static IP Address used to connect to the Internet
> # PassivePorts          60000 65535

This line looks interesting.  I'd read up on this and see if it can be
used to bypass NAT.

-rob