Re: on board ac97 sound not work in 2.4.20

eric lin wrote:

after I login gnome as end user, it give me 2 error window

I was not able to open your audio device
OPlease check that you have permission to open /dev/mixer
and make sure you have sound support compiled to your kernel

so I me chmod 777 /dev/mixer, reboot
login from gdm to gnome as enduser, no sound, that I had have in 2.4.17 in Asus Via chip of K7 1.4GHz (I am using Intel board onbard AC97)

please help
sincere Eric
www.linuxspice.com
linux pc for sale

I would recommend that you change the permissions on /dev/mixer back to what they were, and instead add your user to the audio group ("addgroup eric audio"), then log out and back in. I'm confident that this by itself is not sufficient to solve your problems.

What's the output of "lspci"?
And "lsmod"?