Re: Net install via PCMCIA

Chris Owen said:

> Oh dear this is not going very well.
>
> I now find that it's not possible to mount any floppy (as the
> installation program attempts to do when I run "Install the kernel and
> driver modules").  If I go "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy", it churns the disk
> for ages then comes back with "invalid argument".  It's not the floppy,
> I've tried several good ones; and in fact the one I'm trying to mount is
> the one I booted from!

it's possible the floppy went bad i've had this happen before. Also another
possiblity, something that happened to be is a bad floppy conroller, I had
an Abit BP6, which despite it being a piece of shit when it came to running
dual processors, it also had a shitty floppy controller. It would only
read floppies between reboots. That is, insert a floppy, read it, umount
and eject and insert another, the system thinks the previous disk is
inserted! Happened under both DOS and linux. I think the controller also
killed some floppy disks too. The same drive on a different motherboard(Same
cable too I think) worked fine ..

Can you remove the hdd from the laptop? It may be easier to install on
a desktop then move the disk to the laptop if thats possible, some laptops
removing the disk is really easy(e.g. Thinkpad 600), others seem nearly
impossible(e.g. Thinkpad T20).

> I have 16MB RAM plus an active 64MB swap space, which should be enough  to
> avoid memory problems I should have thought...

that should be enough. plenty infact I think for an install. You would
probably run into issues if it was 8MB or less though.

nate