Re: Opps !! HELLLLLLLLPPPPPP !!! iptables and a clingon

daves debian <dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> HELP !!!!
>
> I was experimenting with firewall scripts, one of which was mason, the one
> that as you use the internet it generates rules. I have since deleted all
> these scripts, read up about iptables and am happy to DIY !!!
>
> HOWEVER a bit of mason still seems to be hanging on ....
>
> when I connect with iptables -L showing accept on everything, (I know this is
> SO insecure, but bear with me ...)
>
> all is OK, when I use a web browser, mail etc
> iptables -L starts comeing up with rules, I didnt put them there, I think it
> must be mason.
>
> However the rules are no good and block my dial on demand link the next time
> I wnat to use it
>
> I have to
> /etc/init.d/iptables reload
>
> to clear iptables -L to accept, then its OK till I use the web !!!
>
> I have tried everything, re-load mason, purge it etc etc
>
> >From now on no more flashy scripts, good old text config files for me .....
> Any advice on how to unscrew my system greatly appreciated ..

Why don't you just clear the iptables and then save them with:

/etc/init.d/iptables save active

?

The instructions are in /etc/default/iptables.

Here's what I did: I wrote an iptables script and saved it in root's
home directory, and when I want to change the iptables rules, I modify
the script, run it, and then do:

/etc/init.d/iptables save active

Elizabeth