Re: Cannot log in with xdm.

Egor Tur wrote:

Hi folk.
I (and other user, even new added user) canot login when I start xdm, only root can login.
When anybody login from console - OK. How can I solve this?
Thanx.

It's been a while since I've used xdm; does it allow you to choose with window manager you want to use? If so, perhaps's root's account is pointing to a valide wm, while everyone else's is pointing to a wm that's having problems. Or perhaps the problem is related to .xinitrc/.xsession between root and normal users.

What I'd probably do, is set up gdm or wdm or kdm instead of xdm and see if that session manager has the same problem. If not, then you know it's an xdm problem (which I suspect, since console logins work); if so, then you know it's an X-combined-with-user-account problem.

Kent