Followup: still can't get bttv to load (been trying for days..)

After some more searching:

The cx23881 is actually a different chip (from bt878). I could have sworn that when I checked in
the store in the display, that the card had a BT878, so I suppose Hauppauge just switched the
specs without changing the brand name.

I couldn't find any information on the net about driver availability except that some months back
someone was *expecting* drivers to show up.
Where would be the place to look for such a driver? Would that be INSIDE the bttv, that is, should
I just get a brand new version of the bttv?

And if so, if no *.deb is available (but a *.tar.gz), do I just put the bttv.o into the
/lib/modules/... right place or is that a no-no?

If a *.deb is available, I'm sure it will be "unstable". Is it ok to run stable or testing and
just have a bttv unstable or should I switch the whole thing to unstable?

=====