Re: Need help installing from floppy/ls-120 to Thinkpad R31

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 03:46, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> Whenever I boot from a rescue disk created with Potato or Woody, then
> switch to the root disk, I constantly get an end_request error.
>
> I've tried every configuration I can think of, including:
>
> - Switching disable/enable legacy floppy support in BIOS
>
> - Using the LS-120 drive and external "normal" USB floppy drives
>
> - Custom kernel with no RAMDISK support, but with USB and IDE floppy (for
> the LS-120) and the new Intel E100 NIC.
>
> - Telling Boot: combinations of  rescue root=/dev/fd1 and the thinkpad option
>
> - Booting with only the USB floppy for both rescue and root and no drive
> (LS-120 or DVD) in the internal bay
>

> I've successfully installed from CD-ROM, but I want to install from normal
> 1.4 Meg floppies from the LS-120.  When I reformatted (due to other issues)
> I got kernel crashes twice after per subsequent reinstallation attempts.
>
> Windows XP has worked flawlessly on it, so I know the laptop itself is good.
>
> The custom kernel is based on 2.4.20 since it is the latest stable which
> also supports the new E100 NIC in this Thinkpad.
>
> It is a Thinkpad R31, model 2656 E5U.

Is the LS-120 an IDE device? Are you telling it to look at /dev/hd?
instead of /dev/fd? Something like root=/dev/hdc

(I'm interested to know hot you get it to work; I might have to install
with one of these at some point - not a laptop though)

Richard