Re: Permedia 2 hardware acceleration (was:openGL question)

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:21:58PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi,
>
> I may be wrong but AFAIK there is no support for hardware acceleration
> in the xserver drivers. It is my understanding that this requires some
> level of knowledge about the hardware that is usually not disclosed. So
> the only drivers that I know of that do provide hardware acceleration
> are the propietary ones for the nvidia chipsets (the "nv" video drivers,
> standard in X, does _not_ provide hardware acceleration).
>
> I may be wrong but I think this is the problem.

No. At least the following are supported natively, without binary only
vendor drivers :
- Matrox G200 and G400 (probably also higher)
- All 3dfx cards (voodoo)
- Most ATI cards (Some of the newer ones might not be supported yet)

Nvidia is more the exception than the rule for this.

The xfree86 documentation claims that the permedia 2 is fully supported.

Frank