Re: bad error

> See the thread on /etc/fstab or HD crash. I noticed
> you posted a reply
> to that but all that was in it was one of my posts,
> quoted. Were you
> trying to ask this sort of question?

No. that was me at work (i.e. lacking detail)

I solved it in that thread, never previously realizing
that the shell (I have some LSL install CD-ROM of
2.2.16) I needed was after you start the installation
procedure.

It's still odd to me, though.  Please correct me if
I'm wrong.

I still have the two good kernels I compiled on the
machine, but until I ran e2fsck all over, they
wouldn't boot, either.

I suppose attempting to boot the bad kernel (which
didn't have support compiled in to read hard drives,
donut!) actually hosed the hard drive, and thus
prevented even the good kernels from working.

Now I have a nice CD-R backup.

It'd be slick to make my own 2.4.18 boot CD

ciao for now

They're There!
They're Poor!
They Don't Want Any War!