Re: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 04:25:43PM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> I installed for some tests the cyrus-imap server.
> Today I did:
> apt-get --purge remove cyrus-imap
> I saw that the cyrus user was not removed from /etc/passwd, so I did:
> userdel cyrus
>
> And now, I can't install packages anymore, I get the followinf error:
> dpkg: syntax error: unknown user `cyrus' in statusoverride file
>
> Anyone has an idea how to resolve this problem without recreating the cyrus user
> which I don't need...

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but there is a file
called /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride. See if there is a line starting with
"cyrus". If there is, make a backup of the file then remove the line
from the file.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com