RE: sync root passwords?

> Quoting Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu>:
>
> > You might want to reconsider the project, frankly - why not
> make different
> > root passwords for different machines? That would seem to be a
> more secure
> > alternative. You can make them systematically different to save yourself
> > memorizing them all, by (for example) using the second letter of the
> > hostname as one of the characters of the root password or
> something along
> > those lines.

Crazy idea: Disable root password on the slave machines. Root access is only
available via trusted ssh from one or two masters, or by physical access.
Obviously, you better have at least two master systems available since they
now become critical failure points for administering any machine.

I'm not sure this would work though. It's been a while since I did any real
system administration.