Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

When I start a Gnome Session I get the following errors.

----

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/cpserver:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5946

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
xscreensaver-demo: Gdk-warning: locale not supported by C library

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
xscreensaver: already running on display zinc:0.0 (window 0x1c00006)
 from process 5518 (andrew@cpserver).

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x81C0430)

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

----

My locale settings

andrew@cpserver:~$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

my LOCPATH setting

LOCPATH=/usr/share/locale/:/usr/share/i18n/locales/

What could the problem be?