Re: Booting 2 Linuxes with LILO

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 05:48:56PM -0800, alberto wrote:

>               Please, send reply to albertobig@libero.it
>
> I have 2 debians installed on my system but I'm having troubles with having
> LILO allowing me to boot any of those.
>
> I have  potato on  /dev/hda3.
> I just erased  win on  /dev/hda1 :-))  and installed  Woody there.
>
> Now, Woody's LILO offers me a prompt to boot the old potato, but won't make
> it: If I try, it will stop at
>    LIL-
>
> What is the correct way to have woody's LILO load my potato on /dev/hda3?
> I'd also love to keep the subchoiches there for different kernels.

You may want to check the mail list archives; there has been several
discussions of this in the past.

Here is couple of discussions on the subject that are not Debian/GNU
specific. The second one gives a nice example of how to set up your lilo.conf:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=boot+multiple+linux+distributions&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=6LW35.208561%24MB.3800243%40news6.giganews.com&rnum=1

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=boot+multiple+linux+distributions&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Pine.LNX.3.91.980622195520.9602A-100000%40xgw10.pal.xgw.fi&rnum=3

--
Jerome