Re: audio cd

Matthew,

Thanks for posting suggestions. I see that a lot of Debian users are very friendly when it comes to helping out others unlike the Redhat mailing lists. With that being said, I think Redhat is going to ban me because I've been bad mouthing them eversince I installed Debian. Anyhow, getting back to the point, I do NOT try to mount the audio cd. That would be disastrous. My /cdrom directory is also just pointing at /dev/cdrom. This in turn is pointing at /dev/hdc. How are your groups set up for these files? I think that this may be the problem.

bp

From: Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matthew@weierophinney.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: audio cd
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:43:28 -0500

-- Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com> wrote
(on Tuesday, 03 December 2002, 04:21 PM -0500):
> I'm having a problem loading any audio cds. I currently have KDE as a
> desktop and I can run mp3 and ogg files. I know the cables are plugged from
> the CDRW to the sound card because they work in Windows2000.
What program(s) are you using to listen to audio CDs? Are you trying to
mount them first? (you shouldn't) What device have you specified in your
audio cd player program for your CDRW? is it correct?

I don't use KDE, personally. I do use XMMS on a fairly regular basis,
however, and it is capable of playing audio cds. When I use it, I press
"Ctrl-L" (to load a Location), and type /cdrom. /cdrom is mapped in my
/etc/fstab to /dev/cdrom. This in turn is mapped to /dev/sr0, which in
turn is mapped to /dev/scd0. So, what I'm getting at is for you to
figure out what the device is, and make sure your cd playing software is
configured to grab that device. Most likely, if your CDRW is the only CD
drive you have, it should be /dev/cdrom, which will symlink to the
appropriate device.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net