Re: Spam alert

on Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:02:34AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au (debian@computerdatasafe.com.au) wrote:
> A word of warning to all the gentle folk here. The archives to this
> (and, I guess, other Debbian lists) are published at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/
>
> This list is a wonderful source of email addresses for spammers. I have
> posted just two letters before this to the list, and already I'm getting
> spammed.

It's also a wonderful source of email addresses for other debian users,
friends near, far, new, and old, news contacts, potential employers, and
others.

Email obfuscation is ducking and hiding in the face of spam.  I prefer
use of effective filtering tools.  If the traffic load on your metered
connection is too high, contact your ISP for server-based filtering
options (I prefer tuning my own rules, others may not have the option).
Procmail, whitelists, & spamassassin do wonders for me.  Modern MUAs,
MTAs, and MDAs all offer filtering options.  Explore and exploit them.

Spam is a scourge, but it's no excuse to flood the moats and burn the
drawbridge.

Peace.