where is my java?

I can compile and run java programs from the command line (java and
javac are both in /usr/bin) in addition to running applets in mozilla
but when I tried to install openoffice.org it said there was no java
environment.

Sometime in the past I must have installed java somehow. Where should I
look for my java environment? Is there a debian package that will
install it where openoffice.org can find it? Where should it be?

(Running debian testing.)

--
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because
they quit playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes