Re: How to change language in console?

Colin Watson wrote:

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:26:01PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
I'm now able to boot off the internal hard drive in single-user mode, but when I do things such as "man interfaces", the text comes up in German (I think). How do I change the language to American English? I thought maybe it had something to do with locales, but I can't quite wrap my head around how that works, and googling hasn't seemed to help me any.

What does the 'locale' command print?
Everything, except LC_ALL, was set to DE_something

Locales are set in your environment. 'export LC_ALL=C' will probably do
what you want.

Great! Now "locale" shows everything to be set to C, and at first glance, it looks like things are in English.

So what's "C"?