How to change language in console?

Having just acquired a Cappucino computer (very small footprint PC; no floppy) and being unable to boot off my older Sid installer CD but being able to boot off Knoppix, I have manually created partitions and copied stuff from the Knoppix CD to the hard drive.

Of course, until I can get everything repaired, there's lots of broken-ness, but that's okay; it's a great learning experience.

I'm now able to boot off the internal hard drive in single-user mode, but when I do things such as "man interfaces", the text comes up in German (I think). How do I change the language to American English? I thought maybe it had something to do with locales, but I can't quite wrap my head around how that works, and googling hasn't seemed to help me any.

I did try running "locale-gen" (or something similar; can't recall exactly now) which processed for about half an hour, and echoed a list of what looked like language settings (like DE.ISO-8859-1). When it finished, I then ran "localedef en_US.ISO-8559-1"; it hasn't returned me to a command prompt nor has it echoed any information; it seems to just be sitting there waiting. It's been this way for 30 minutes or so now.

Any clues as to the correct method of changing the language of the system?

Thanks!

Kent