Re: Do SCSI disks have a MBR (master boot record)?

>  Do SCSI disks have a MBR?

I think that the MBR is just a name for the first block(s) of
a disk, I don't think its "special" in any way other then being
at the start of the disk.

> Is it just LBA=0 on the disk?

does SCSI use LBA? I thought that was IDE only..

> Should lilo be installed in MBR or the
> other choice during install to boot debian
> linux from a scsi disk?

I reccomend the MBR, I have installed on maybe 40-50 different
systems with SCSI and always choose MBR. I haven't dual booted
in 3 years so if your dual booting you may not want to use the
MBR(System commander was my booting tool of choice back in
the day).

> I installed Lilo in MBR of a SCSI only system
> and I have to use the rescue floppy to boot every
> time.  The floppy is annoyingly slow to boot.

sounds like the bios of the system may have a bug in relation to
booting from a SCSI card. one system I have here has a similar
problem, its a Supermicro P6DBE, even with lilo loaded to the MBR,
the bios sees the boot record but it hangs when it tries to boot
it. Haven't really looked into it, probably a bios upgrade would
fix it.

is your system configured to boot from SCSI? does it even TRY
to boot from SCSI ? are there any IDE devices on the system?
(either hd or cdrom), if so disconnect them see if anything
changes. This P6DBE would hang completely without a IDE hard
disk connected, since there is a CDRW on the IDE as well, I
had to disable the CDRW in the bios to stop it from hanging,
removing the CDRW from the chain completely may also fix the
SCSI hang problem, haven't tried it yet.

> The AHA-2940UW says BIOS installed correctly
> and then insert bootable media.
> I marked the /boot partition as bootable.

thats good, but without the bios on the MB being able to support
booting from SCSI. I have many many 2940UW cards and have installed
many debian systems to the "MBR" of the SCSI disk without any
issues.

nate