Re: multi-TB diskarrays ???

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:40:40 -0600
"Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:

> Akos Bagi wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> > I think I didn't find some very important aspect.
> > 1. Is the data Read only or not. ( Once you stored tha image, do you have to edit/modify/delete it?)
>
> read-only
Good

> > 2. What time is acceptable to decide that a specific image is present in the system and
> > what time is acceptable to load the image/images/full directories from the library.
>
> tbd -- six months?
Sorry I can't understand it.

Question was: if the system/the user ( I know nothig about the management of the bibliographic data )
knows wich image is the required one, how mutch time is accpetable for your users
to wait for this data ( 1-2 seconds or 1 minute or 2 hours or 1 day are ok too? )

> > 3. How mutch data is collected daily, weekly, monthly.
>
> growing
How fast is growing? (eg: 500 MB/week )

> 4TB is deduced from past and present growth and the need to save data
> for seven years
>
> > 4. Is the data collected centrally or not.
>
> not sure what is meant by this
>
> however, there will be five to ten ``sources'' of data writing to the
> array
Are they in the same network, collecting the data to the same disk or do they collecting
the data per person basis? ( 1 patient 1 Disk is possible or not )

I would suggest a standalone ( not in the jukebox integrated one ) Pioneer DVD writer with DVD jukebox
method just like "Kourosh <debian@mindwaresystems.com>" did.
But there are some questions to clarify befor a real suggestion of it.
Your 4TB is not to mutch. lesst then 100 DVDs 4.7 GB each.
The biggest problem is the management of the robots of a jukebox library and the auto-mount/dismount of the
readers.

Sorry for the ad but: I'am partly owning INCOM Hungary,  you can visit on the web www.incom.hu or www.incom.de.
You can find HW/SW solutions for your problem.
Here in Hungary we are managing/supporting a read-only system with 3300 CDs and 600 DVDs.

The lifetime of the disks I think is at least 30 years. How about the HDDs or tapes?!
I would make a backup copy of the disks and store it in a different building/city.
You can have DVD-Rs with inkjet printable surface and you can buy printers to print the disks from 400 EUR.

Best Regards
Akos Bagi