Re: multi-TB diskarrays ???

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet.

Instead of having everything on hard drive's you may want to
consider offloading some of the older data onto DVD jukeboxes.

With everything on the array, managing the backups and redundancy
can become quite a chore, however, with DVD's you don't need to
worry about a crash taking out all your data.

You could also make multiple copies and store some offsite for
recovery purposes.

Granted, DVD has a limited life, but it's possible to copy the data
over to fresh media at some point.

I've seen articels about new DVD jukeboxes coming out that can
handle several hundred TB's worth of data with multiple drives
and reasonable access times.

Keep a ceratin amount of data on the array and set up a schedule
to archive older or less frequesntly accessed data onto DVD.

Regards.

Kourosh