Re: [OT] CD-R Requirements (or Giving Back To Windows Users)

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:09:41PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

| That's Phase-II of this project... ;)  I think it would be good for him to
| see that to burn his CD he can just move files via samba to the Linux
| machine and run a single command or shell script.

That's easy to do.  Another alternative is to have a frequent cron job
that looks for a file in a certain directory and when it finds it it
burns it then moves it out of the way.  I know a guy who set up a
similar system for handling report stuff.

| And for a desktop it will be hard for this PIII-450 to compare with
| his new P4 2.0G XP desktop.

FWIW I have a PIII 500/600 laptop to use at work and a Duron 750 at
home.  Both work just great and I only peg the CPU when I'm compiling
a large project or something of that nature (which would peg any CPU,
just for a different duration).  The only other CPU problem I have is
when I try to do graphics-intensive operations, but that's because I'm
using vesafb.  I've never actually used a machine over 1.[012] GHz
(I'm not sure exactly), but I didn't use my brother's WinME machine
much.  A PIII-450 is quite decent hardware, IMO.

-D

--
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/