Windows modem and Debian

I have just had Debian V3 installed as a dual boot system along with a
pre-existing Windows 98 OS. Both operating systems work fine. However,
Debian is unable to do anything with the Windows modem on my system and so I
cannot access the internet via Linux.

Can anyone direct me to a software solution for this problem?

The modem is a model IN5692, Lucent 1646T00/1034AH-J (Mars-2) chipset, no
PCI.

I think the kernel is 2.4.18 and the version of Debian is number 3, GNU.

I have read a Linmodem-HOWTO and a Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO but I am hoping
to find something very specific to my system as I don't know much about this
sort of thing.

Much thanks
Barry