Solved (I think) : Resetting Cron

Many, many, many thanks.  One step further on the ladder of knowledge.
I've reset crontab as you suggested and sure enough the
/var/spool/cron/* file changed (and it did have the problem code in it).
Hopefully it will now work but won't be too long before I found out.
For some reason reload, stop and restart all had no impact.  At least
the offending commands have gone from the file.

Regards,
Tim.