Re: IRC

On Sunday 17 November 2002 14:49, Justin A wrote:
> So basically #debian didn't cater to your file sharing philosophy,
> and wasn't able to read your mind.
>
> I'm terribly sorry, guess we should have tried harder.
>
> CC replies :-)

Sorry...you are definitely wrong on that account.

But, if you guys screen who you help by theif file-sharing philosophy,
that's a bit overboard.

But since you want to analyze a logfile, let's do it.  I'll use your
own log, in fact:

Nov 03 10:58:53 *       W|GGL|T is back (gone 05:50:17)
Nov 03 11:34:49 <W|GGL|T>       anyone know offhand what disk of the 7
cd set
the 2.4.18 kernel source would be on?
Nov 03 11:35:14 <hop>   W|GGL|T: #1, i'd suspect
Nov 03 12:24:32 <W|GGL|T>       quick question about sources.list:  i
need to
put "deb  http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/debian/dri-trunk/       ./"
in my
sources.list but when i run apt-get, it ignores the site...this have
to do
with the ./ at the end of that line?
Nov 03 12:26:46 <W|GGL|T>       i have a question about the
sources.list
Nov 03 12:27:24 <W|GGL|T>       aww...fuck it...i'll subscribe and ask
the
debian mailing list
Nov 03 12:27:40 <Mave>  W|GGL|T: man sources.list
Nov 03 12:27:43 <nkuttler>      ~tell W|GGL|T about ask
Nov 03 12:28:11 <W|GGL|T>       uh...ive ALREADY asked
Nov 03 12:28:20 <nkuttler>      W|GGL|T: ah, see it now. do you get an
error?
Nov 03 15:20:44 <--     W|GGL|T has quit (brunner.freenode.net
irc.freenode.net)
___

First of all, grepping for 'W|GGL|T' doesn't tell the whole
story...all that results in is context that includes my nick, not the
conversation itself...MY logs look a bit different.  Most of the
music I have, I've purchased...I'd say 98%, not that its REALLY your
business.  Do you base who's worthy of #debian help by how much warez
they have?  That last bit, above, I was asking for help and someone
decided to be a smartass.

Also, the someones (mkuttler and Mave) who decided to be smartasses
had nothing to do with the file-sharing conversation, so that's
irrelevant.  The question I'd asked wasn't covered in the man pages.
The point was that I'd asked a question, a question that was
legitimate per 'ask', and all that question got me was 'man
sources.list' or "Nov 03 12:27:43 <nkuttler>      ~tell W|GGL|T about
ask".  Then when I explained that I'd already asked the question,
nkuttler acknowledged it but by then I was a bit pissed (and rightly
so).

I'm no Linux newbie but I've not much experience with apt-get or its
sources.list file.  man only explains so much.  Google will only
search for things that have been discussed in the past...if it has
never been covered before, Google's not going to show it.  I felt I'd
done my homework before asking the question in #debian.  I'd
suggested not going to #debian...not because of the flack I got with
my belief in file-sharing, but because of the way #debian regulars
talk to nonregulars.

Justin, do you always give people hard times because they don't share
your life's philosophies?  You've a long way to go in life if you
decide no one deserves your time if they don't live your lifestyle.
You felt so strongly about file-sharing that you started getting a
bit lewd, then when I post my feelings about #debian, you pull up
some logs and select what you want for pasting instead of posting ALL
the facts.

I stand by what I said about OPN's #debian.  While there may be some
nice helpful people in the channel, they don't speak up...all I saw
were the righteous.  So, you can either heed the advice and go there
anyways (you MAY actually get the help you seek) but I'm betting
you'll not stay there long...its definitely not a friendly
atmosphere.

--
Ron aka W|GGL|T
http://www.wigglit.com