Maintain X11 config with CFengine?

We use CFengine to maintain the configuration of our machines.  It's
great stuff.  Now, one possibility for CFengine to manage the
XF86Config would be to just copy or edit the file.  But it occurred
to me that it might be better to just maintain the answers asked by
debconf.  Do you think that might be feasible?  Is it the right
approach?

If so, I imagine the procedure is as follows:

First, CFengine edits some file where debconf stores the answers to
its questions.  (Where is that file and what's the format?)  Then
CFengine runs dpkg-reconfigure or something like this to tell Debian
to reconfigure the package based on the previously configured answers.

I've been quite happy with the X11 configuration that came out after
debconf was done asking me.

Another thing is that I'd like to change the sequence of directories
in FontPath, and maybe add my own.  So is there a file where debconf
gets the corresponding XF86Config-4 snippet from?  Can I have
CFengine just edit that file?

kai