Re: Soundmixers all mixed up... :( How do I resolv?

--- Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Pontus Edvardsson <pontus.edvardsson@bredband.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 06:24:34 -0800 (PST)
> > Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > with

> configure
> not
> > default

> > > i'm no expert but i would try recompiling/reinstalling amixer.
> > >
> > Oops... Sorry! I relize I forgot to mention what I did trying to
> > resolve
> > it... :(
> >
> > The first thing I thought of was uninstalling (and purging) aumix,
> > which
> > also uninstalled sndconfig. That still resulted in no sound, and
> the
> > same error as mentioned above. Re-installing aumix, I am by
> invoking
> > the
> > same, able to get sound... So it seems my default mixer is set to
> > aumix
> > instead of amixer... The question is how do I set amixer as the
> > default
> > mixer??
> >
> > Pontus
> I don't understand what you mean by "default"... do you mean when you
> click on "mixer" icon or something?  Or are you browsing a menu
> somewhere?  If so you would have to look into configuring that
> Desktop
> manager (KDE - Gnome - I use IceWM, etc...) If I have guess wrong
> just
> let me know.
-or- :)
what if you uninstalled amixer and aumix, then just installed amixer -
will it grab the dependency sndconfig if you need it?  I don't have it:
slamson@callerio:~$ dpkg -l sndconfig

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
un  sndconfig           <none>              (no description available)
and i am working fine on a SoundBlaster 5.1 with kernel drivers.
(emu10k1) in my case.  I use "rexima" which if you'll note is amixer
backwards.
Or uninstall amixer and aumix, install sndconfig, then install amixer.

slamson@callerio:~$ sudo apt-get -s install sndconfig
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  hwdata kudzu
  hwdata kudzu sndconfig

Let me know how it turns out.  I don't know of a "default" sound mixer
setting in Debian, so I suspect you are talking about one of the
Desktop Managers.

Shawn