Re: Soundmixers all mixed up... :( How do I resolv?

--- Pontus Edvardsson <pontus.edvardsson@bredband.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 06:24:34 -0800 (PST)
> Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > --- Pontus Edvardsson <pontus.edvardsson@bredband.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I use Sarge, kernel 2.5.44 and Alsa compiled in. Thats mainly
> > > because the alsa modules available in Debian didn't work well
> with
> > > my soundcard,
> > > an ICH2 on an ASUS P4B mobo, ( 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 05)
> > >
> > > What happens is that instead of amixer that I'm used to configure
> > > alsa
> > > with, aumix was default, why I have no idea - I certainly did not
> > > install that on purpose. How can I re-register amixer as my
> default
> > > mixer?
> > >
> > > Trying to start a mix I get the following error:
> > > amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > What can I do?
> > i'm no expert but i would try recompiling/reinstalling amixer.
> >
> Oops... Sorry! I relize I forgot to mention what I did trying to
> resolve
> it... :(
>
> The first thing I thought of was uninstalling (and purging) aumix,
> which
> also uninstalled sndconfig. That still resulted in no sound, and the
> same error as mentioned above. Re-installing aumix, I am by invoking
> the
> same, able to get sound... So it seems my default mixer is set to
> aumix
> instead of amixer... The question is how do I set amixer as the
> default
> mixer??
>
> Pontus
I don't understand what you mean by "default"... do you mean when you
click on "mixer" icon or something?  Or are you browsing a menu
somewhere?  If so you would have to look into configuring that Desktop
manager (KDE - Gnome - I use IceWM, etc...) If I have guess wrong just
let me know.

Shawn