Re: sid or sarge for wimp user

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:35:37AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> In December a friend will burn 9 debian CDs for me to upgrade my
> poorly networked 'woody of may 02' system.
>
> Shall I have him burn sid or sarge?
>
> I'm basically a wimp user but need fresh software so I don't sound too
> silly in my many bug reports.

Finding bugs in woody at this stage will earn you much geek kudos :)

> What are the chances my system will come to a screeching halt with sid
> vs. sarge?

Not likely, but I'd hate to be netless using sid.  What will you do if
you find a serious issue in sid?  If your friend burnt you a copy of sid
a few days ago, then every single c++ program on your machine would have
been broken.  The fix was simple (either revert to the previous version
with dpkg or create a symlink), but what would you do if PAM broke again
or something?  Maybe you could do a test install from the sid CDs and
make sure everything mostly works before you move your main machine to
it?

> After I do the upgrade I don't suppose it is easy to
> revert if not happy.

It _is_ possible to downgrade, but it's really, really fiddly.  I'd
suggest just going with sarge; it's got most everything sid does (aside
from maybe gnome 2, perl 5.8 and the new glibc), and has more of a
guarantee of actually working.  Not that sid is that bad, but I wouldn't
use it unless you're willing to deal with 'issues'.

-rob