Re: amavis - which one?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:04:27 -0800 (PST)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> Kevin Coyner said:
> >
> > I'm setting up clamav and amavis to scan incoming email.
> >
> > A quick check of apt-cache search amavis gives me several choices:
> >
> > amavis-exim - Interface between MTA and virus scanner.
> > amavis-milter - Interface between MTA and virus scanner.
> > amavis-ng - AMaViS "Next Generation"
> >
> > I'm guessing that ng would be the one to use.  My MTA is exim
> > though, so that seems a logical choice too.
> >
> > Would appreciate any guidance on which one to grab.
>
> last I remember, amavis-ng was tuned for big servers, processing
> thousands or tens of thousands of messages a day. If your server does
> not do this I would reccomend amavis-exim. I can't say for certain
> though since my woody doesn't have amavis-exim, only amavis-postfix. I
> run amavisd(snapshot 3, march 2002 I think, downloaded from
> amavis.org) on several systems, and also run amavis-perl-11 on a
> couple systems as well, both work well. they are in general more
> tested then amavis-ng. though, more recently perhaps the tables have
> turned.
>
> nate

If running sid (unstable) Amavis-ng is not currently working properly
with perl 5.8. I don't know about the others as I haven't tried them.
I'm thinking of trying some of the CVS versions of Amavis to see if I
can get it working. Need to scan mail for my mom and brther.