Re: vi as a text editor

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:03:34PM -0600, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> I've used vi for at least 14 years now, I switched to emacs for
> "heavy" editing about 10 years ago. But you *must* know vi if you ever
> want to be real Unix user. Learn it. You will be rewarded. That is the
> only reason I don't use vim - you don't find it on every Unix box,
> just like emacs.

I agree that learning to use plain old vi is definitely a good thing.  I
started out using just vim.  One of my later classes required work be
done exclusively on Solaris, and using standard vi I felt more than a
little crippled after becoming used to vim's niceties.

I can't really comment on emacs other than the fact that when I have
large chunk of time open, I'll try to learn it.  I forced myself to
learn vim when I first started using Linux by using it to write mail.
Emacs is a little hefty for such a task unless you're a hardcore emacs
use that never leaves the editor.  I know you can set up mutt to use it
in some sort of daemon(?) mode to reduce invocation time, but I also
have less time than I did back when I first learned vim (and a lot more
mail) :)

Rob