Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Nicolaus Kedegren wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:36:48AM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > I think a much better solution would be for Debian to find a
> > multi-national commercial partner to take over non-free before it
> > gets dumped...  maybe HP.
>
>   This is a typical _drone_ argument. There is no such thing as a
>   multi-national corporation that works for the public good. Trust me, I
>   work for one of 'em. The best solution for Debian is to completely drop
>   "non-free" and let the control freaks fight it out amongst themselves.
>  And just to satisfy my curiosity, why is HP so especially suited to
>  take on the task of maintaining  "non-free"?

Ya, ok, "partner" was a bad choice, "ally" would have been better; I
would expect them to act in their own self interest (which should
coincide with that of Debian's users).

HP just kinda sprung to mind as a Debian friendly entity (DWN piece
about Debian being added to their TestDrive program, probably, iirc)
with a broad enough operation to support what would probably be a loss
leader.

<joke>
Maybe MS will run non-free to show they really do support
competition in the market.
</joke>

- Bruce