Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

There is two part that come from DRI:

   xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk : the xfree server

And the drm kernel module. The message you see is because the kernel
module that is shipped with the kernel is not for xfree 4.2.1.
You need to rebuild your kernel without any drm stuff and get the kernel
module source from the DRI project or by adding the following line in
your /etc/apt/sources.list :

   # Daenzer Xfree Stuff
   deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/ ./

And get drm-trunk-module-src, then build (using kernel-package) and
install.

That said that only for the 3D part. The server alone should be enough
to get X working.

Good luck,
Christophe