Re: X 4.2 problems ("out of range") with Matrox G450

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:32:55 +0000, Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have 4.2 working fine with the Matrox 450.  The upgrade did break things
> at first.  For some reason the new config file seemed to be the problem,
> and everything worked when I restored the previous one (generated
> incidentally by the MGAPowerdesk app).
>
> I now have 1280x1024, though the log file does contain quite a few
> messages of the form:
>
> (II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (hsync out of range)
> (II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (bad mode
> clock/interlace/doublescan)
> (II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode
> clock/interlace/doublescan)
> (II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode
> clock/interlace/doublescan)
> (II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
>
> But it does work OK, using the drivers from the Matrox website.

Hmm. You are not using the "mga" driver from X 4.2 then? What driver
are you using? Could you send me your config file? Are you running a
19 in monitor? I'm using the Sony 19in G400. The funny thing is, I
just put in the horizontal (30-107) and vertical (48-120) sync numbers
as given in the manual. It has never failed to work for any monitor
before. My attempts at generating a config file were using
xserver-xfree86's config scripts. I didn't think of generating one
using the MGAPowerdesk app.

Ok, I just tried it, and it complains a lot about the driver, but it
did generate a file. which unfortunately doesn't work. Perhaps I need
to be using the drivers from the Matrox site.

Is there a reason you are not using the usual X drivers?

                                         Thanks, Faheem.