Re: X 4.2 problems ("out of range") with Matrox G450

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:02:33 +0000 (UTC)
Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I won't try to reproduce the entire bug report here, but in a
> nutshell, with my original working config file for 4.1, which
> corresponds to a resolution of 1280x1024, the server tries to come up,
> but then hangs with a blank screen. The X logs complain about "out of
> range errors", and my monitor also puts up a little box saying "Out of
> Range" which I have never seen before. I can get a working X server
> for 4.2, but only with the lower resolution of 1024x768. Note that the
> config file in the bug report is the original config file referred to
> at the beginning of this paragraph.
>
> I have seen other similar reports on the net, which leads me to
> believe it might be a bug, but if so it should be much more visible,
> because Matrox cards are pretty common. So, can anyone offer me any
> enlightenment on this?

I have 4.2 working fine with the Matrox 450.  The upgrade did break things
at first.  For some reason the new config file seemed to be the problem,
and everything worked when I restored the previous one (generated
incidentally by the MGAPowerdesk app).

I now have 1280x1024, though the log file does contain quite a few
messages of the form:

(II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (hsync out of range)
(II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) MGA(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)

But it does work OK, using the drivers from the Matrox website.

- Richard.