RE: Scan email for viruses

hi ya mikael

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Mikael Jirari wrote:

> -- use secure pop3 or secure imaps
> It's going to be a web interface mail server so, i shouldn't have a lot of
> work on imap securization but i'll put some efforts on the apache side

some webmail stuff still uses pop3/imap to get to the mailboxes

more webmail apps
 	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/#WebMail

> -- user your favorite antivirus app
> Not done yet, i plan to use mcaffee, i don't know if it's a good choice but
> at the end i need an antivirus

use the antivirus that is known to work with your mta ( qmail ? )
or you might be spending time playing testing and beta-site

mcaffee is NOT free ... for linux ??
 	- at least i havent found it yet

for qmail as your mta
	http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.fehcom.de/qmvc/qmvc.html

rest of the antivirus
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/antivirus.gwif.html

> -- disallow MIME and you're lot safer
> Why ?? does it means i won't be able to sent any attachement ?
> I don't want to receive vbs for instance but i wanted to use procmail.

no attachments... no virus's possible within reason..

> I don't see how things can fit together particularly about how the mail
> server will check attachments before declaring the email available for the
> users.
> If the email contains a virus i'd like to warn the sender (is it done with
> procmail ?)

for mail howto  -- the big picture

	http://www.postfix.org/big-picture.html

c ya