Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:36:48 -0700
Bruce Sass <bsass@edmc.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Travis Crump wrote:
> <...>
> > There is a long long ongoing debate in debian-devel[1] on this.
> > Please don't start another debate here.
>
> This seems like the proper place for a discussion, they are wanting to
> change the Social Contract, and we are the society they have the
> contract with.
>
> I'm worried that if Debian totally ignores the non-free software
> world, it will ignore Debian.
>
> I think a much better solution would be for Debian to find a
> multi-national commercial partner to take over non-free before it
> gets dumped...  maybe HP.

No matter what - I as a user like debian.Thats the reason I got it on my
machine. If I don't like it I go and find something else.So can anybody
else that doesn't like the distro. I won't go and tell the developers on
the users mailing list what to do.Thats just ridiculous.Who wants to
maintain packages that are useless when you skip the non-free
department? And don't make the mistake of thinking 'what the
hell'.Debian is a very high quality distro with maintainers that did a
exceptional job for a long time.If people see their work go to shreds
because of some political crap the will pull out if they got any self
respect. If somebody wants to setup someting like a
'what-should-be-included-and-what-not' thing that guy should better be
at dev-level at least.

Prost,

Klaus