Re: Manually starting X

Joe Riel <joer@k-online.com> [2002-11-07 10:10:48 -0800]:
> I have installed a basic X system (Woody stable).
> When the system boots, the gui login window comes up.

Which gui?  xdm, kdm, or gdm, or other?

> When the window manager (twm) is shutdown,
> the screen goes black and the login window does not reappear.

Ouch.  Something is certainly wrong.

> As a workaround, I'm wondering how to change the init procedure so
> that X does not start (I tried removing the S99Xdm script in
> /etc/rc2.d; that did prevent X from starting but running startx had
> problems; I'm guessing parts of S99Xdm script must be run).

I am not aware of anything that needs to be run from there.  Instead
of removing the symlink I think editing the file
/etc/X11/default-display-manager is preferred.  To completely disable
managers set it to /usr/bin/false instead of your current manager.

The start up scripts read that file and check the name against who
they are.  If they match then then run.  Since false won't match
anyone none of the graphical login managers will actually run.  Since
that file is a configuration file the contents will be preserved by
dpkg when doing package management.

Bob