RE: Microsoft's plans to kill open source: TCPA

Matthew Joyce said on 11/5/02 10:09 AM

>Perhaps people will start to use the existing cpus for longer, and
>recycle older ones, distributed processing etc, instead of feeling they
must
>upgrade their hardware because there is an upgrade available.

>However, emailing all my friends and family and trying to explain TCPA
>to them and ask them to push for a referendum (as was suggested in one post
>(rant)), smacks of fanaticism.

OK, sit on your bums, wait for the US to fully gratify this, the rest of the
world will follow like sheep and we'll end up being screwed by governments
that don't give a fuck about the normal everyday person.  20 years down the
track you'll be bitching about "that damn tcpa and palladium" when you can't
do jack shit on your computer.  My point is if you sit back it'll get
changed whether you like it or not.  By the time you realise that it's too
late to do anything in most cases.  ie. be pro-active.

How easy will it be for Microsoft to insert into the .doc standard "can only
be opened by genuine ms word".  I'd say not very hard, and it will happen.
One reason:

Market dominance

Microsoft owns the trademark on that and can legally do so.  It can't be
judged as anti comptetitive either as they legally own the trademark patent
on the algorisms.  Think about that.

Older PCs and hardware will become less and less effective.  Remember most
current items of software are designed on "minimum hardware requirements".
So your old p2 333 won't work very well with software that was designed for
a P6 5ghz.  This is the natural cycle of hardware/software that has been
going on for 20 odd years now in the personal computer industry.  Dont'
believe me?  Have a look at older software and what the hardware
requirements were.  Now try and get a 386 to run Windows XP etc.  I bet it
won't.

As to open source software - it'll be useless - people won't use it because
it won't/can't interact with tcpa enabled items.  And I can guarantee that
Intel et al won't allow it to be user adjustable either.  If you believe
that you must still believe in Santa Claus.

Yes my comments were a rant if you want to look at that (hell I think I
actually said that in the post in jest).  If you want to call it fanatacism
so be it.  It's people that sit on their bums and cop it sweet and don't
complain that ruin it for the rest of us that oppose unfair changes.
Unfortunately humans are lazy, and most don't give a rats arse about
anything other than themselves.

Dave