Re: Installing new software

    "David" == David Jones <jonesy@connectfree.co.uk> writes:

    David> Hi, I am running Debian Potato with XFree86 3. I have a
    David> full woody set of CD's but am unable to get XFree86 4 to
    David> work at all. Unfortunately, I can't use any of the other
    David> software on the woody cds because the system always wants
    David> to upgrade everything including X, which then won't work.
    David> How can I use the updated versions of say gimp, mozilla
    David> apache etc without the need to update X.  I will come back
    David> to the problem with X later but at the moment I would just
    David> like to use the other updated packages.  Is this possible
    David> and if so how?  Any help will be great.

Upgrade everything to woody. Don't use XFree86 v4, use the v3 package
included. You do this by modifying the link /etc/X11/X to point at the
v3 X server instead of /etc/X11/XFree86.

I actually believe that an upgrade to Woody will not upgrade your X
Server unless you ask for it (just like it will not upgrade your
kernel), but I cannot remember if that is a lie.

Cheers!
Shyamal