Suggestions for scanner desktop app?

I do a lot of scanning as a backup filing system for paper documents.
The basic scanner programs seem to scan something and put it in a
file.  I would like something that gives me a higher level of
organization (I'm used to the Paperport software on windows).

Basics: ability to put things in folders, annotate them, search on the
annotations, and easily view them.

I'm not completely wedded to folders as opposed to some system of
classifying by keyword.  But I have a feeling I can probably get
folders now, without annotation, using some thumbnail viewer and
saving scans in the filesystem.

Fancier: Ability to stack or group related items (e.g., if I scan in
something that's several pages long).

In my dreams: Ability to automatically do character recognition;
associate the result of the OCR with the scanned image; search on the
text in the result.

Anything like this around, or a good base to start from?  I use KDE,
but have GNOME desktop support as well.

P.S. One application I looked at said it was mostly for "CRC" which
seemed to be used as a type of image or scan, or perhaps a format.
What does CRC mean in this context?
http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/gpicscan/ says it is "an
Image Collector/CRC Scanner".