Re: Keyboard Problem in X

_ _ <sgfan_au@email.com> [2002-10-31 18:50:30 -0500]:
> The backspace key does not work in X. On start up, the xserver reports:
>
> Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.xkm
> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
> How can I fix it?

Not 100% of what your problem is but it sounds like your installed
keymap is corrupt.

Perhaps the 'install-keymap' program could be of use here.  Read the
man page carefully.  What this suggestion will do is to remove the
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz file.  Make a backup if you need it but
it looks to be the problem to me.  This will then default to the
built in kernel keymap.

  install-keymap KERNEL

Alternately you might pick a new keymap and install it.  Look in
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/* or appropriate for possibilities.  In
the use the us.kmap.gz is probably the typical one.  But I really
don't know since I always make my own keymap to customize my keyboard
layout on the console and so I don't actually use any of the included
keymaps directly.

  install-keymap us.kmap.gz

HTH
Bob