OT:Re: lsmod question (was....Sound issues using 2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs and SB Live! 5.1)

--- nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
-----snip
>If it can be compiled into the kernel it will
>be on my systems. Which makes me sad to see that future linux
>kernels will be module-only.
----snip

I thought that Linus was quoted as saying that the function of the
kernel should not be to pass messages to modules.  That it should
interact directly with hardware.  (obviously I am not quoting here).
ie. the kernel _should_ be monolithic.  Why are they going to
"module-only" kernels?  Can you point me to an article on this?

Shawn

=====
Shawn Lamson
Debian Gnu\Linux Sid